Thursday, May 8, 2008

ERROR: 10-FC12-0017 - Recovery

My Toshiba A215-S7422 notebook computer has been so sluggish lately; at times it just is non-responsive for no apparent reason for 10-20 minutes. I decided to backup my data and rebuild the system with the recovery media. During the process, I had an error dialog pop-up with a prompt to continue, try again, or cancel; my cat Sammy walked on the key board and she must have hit "continue", because the process continued. Anyway, I was unable to capture the error number and message. After I was prompted to load the second disk, the recovery process continued for about 20 minutes, and then I got another error dialog with the following details:

(Using my trusty Averatec 3200 12" WinXP laptop to type this)

Dialog title = "Toshiba Recovery Wizard"

An error has occurred.
ERROR: 10-FC12-0017
Recovery error.
Please press [OK] to turn off the computer.

I'm going to hit OK and try again... more later.

3 comments:

Lowell Snow said...

I got the same error message when installing a new hard drive. Then every time I tried to restart the computer, I'd get a message windows was unable to start. This was true whether I had the Recovery CD in or out.
I talked to the hard drive people and they said it was a problem with the recovery process and to talk to Toshiba.
The guy I talked to there couldn't speak English but said something about me paying $35. I understood that and went back to trying to solve the problem myself.
I went into the Bios by holding F2 at start up and realized it was set to boot from the hard drive first. Since the recovery had failed, the windows program was incomplete and couldn't work from the HD. So I changed the bios to boot from the CD first, rebooted with the recovery CD and everything went fine.
I still don't know what caused the error message. Perhaps a smudge on the CD or maybe I bumped the laptop.

Unknown said...

You are a smart man. Thank you! With your post, I have gotten further with my bfs computer than any of us have in 3 days. Thanks again!

SpineSmart said...


This a interesting article.So many reasons and clarification of all the reasons.It is really very helpful.