Friday, May 9, 2008

Error 0x80070456 - PREINST3.SWM - Vista Recovery Error

Ok, here's the scoop on this new error. (This is absurd!!)

... only about 15 minutes into the recovery, while it was copying files, a dialog titled "Copy File" appeared revealing the next in the series of errors. Below is the content of the message in the dialog:

"An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:

error 0x80070456: The media in the drive may have changed.

PREINST3.SWM
Type: SWM File
Size: 638 MB
Date Modified 8/23/2007 10:31 AM"

buttons available to select are: "Try Again" "Skip" "Cancel"

Now, perhaps I chuck the piece of junk into the woods behind my house! But, I selected "Try Again".

It continued through the copy portion and then failed in the recovery portion at about 30-40% completion; Error: 10-FC12-0017\ "Recovery Error" was generated again.

I guess I could try installing Ubuntu or Kubuntu again; or just give up and call Toshiba support.

I'll post an update if I find out anything.

If you have additional information that may help me get through this problem, please let m eknow by posting a comment.

Thanks, Hyrum

9 comments:

He Who Works Retail said...

Any word on what the error was about? My roommate is getting the same error on her laptop and your blog post was the only other similar account I could find :-P

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem yesterday while trying to restore my Toshiba R205-S6267 to original set up. Toshiba offers to send you a replacement disc for $40 S/H (which I think is a scam to take more money from consumers). The quickest solution is to make a duplicate copy of the disc 1 (using another DVD burner/computer) then use this new disc to perform Recovery. Disk 2 should not present any problems. I did this and the copying process went thru.

ajb said...

I have the same problem will probably need a new recovery disk sent.

Anonymous said...

i have the same prob when u got a new disk did it work

Unknown said...

"Try Again" worked for me, which leads me to believe that suggestion above to make another disc will hopefully solve the glitch

Unknown said...

Recently I was working on a toshiba satellite l305 and got this error. Using a Vista 64-bit OEM disk, I could get the OS installed. All 32-bit version OEM and Toshiba Recovery Disk installs failed with this error.

I changed the Hard Drive and the Toshiba Recovery Disks 32-bit Vista reinstalled fine. Running Chkdsk confirm the original disk was going bad.

I think it is safe to conclude this error means it is a hard disk issue.

Benno said...

Tony, if your drive can't read the file on the *bad* disc, why would it be able to copy it to a new disc?

Benno

Unknown said...

I received the same error. I selected "Re-Try" and it appears to have worked fine.
Hope this helps.

Paul said...

Same error on a Toshiba A215-7437 after installing new hard drive. Clicked the "Try Again" button and it completed the recovery.