Saturday, March 1, 2008

Black Screen of Death

The black screen of death continues to haunt me.

While typing an email or working on a program or document, the screen will just go blank; the system is still on, the screen has a faint light, so it's not completely off, but completely blank.

I've found that others have reported the same issue with the A215 series of Toshiba laptop computers. It seems to possibly be a hardware problem. The workaround is to adjust the power settings to never turn off the display. I've gone in and adjusted my power settings and I'll see if that works or not.

Toshiba seems to be pumping out so many different models, versions, and variations of computers that they can't provide quality assurance and satisfactory customer service. I don't know what's happened to Toshiba. I couldn't find a new version of my PDA, the Pocket PC e335 on their site either.

I'll continue to try and get by with this system, but I'm now on the hunt for a Linux compatible laptop; one that has all required drivers, and has been tested and documented and will be ready to go.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I have the same issue. It was resolved over the phone by adjusting the power settings to 100%. After that, overheating became a constant issue. I recently upgraded to Windows 7, overheating has stopped, but the Black Screen of Death has returned.

Shittiest computer ever.